Monday, October 28, 2013

Razorback on their 23rd anniversary event


Razorback are Pinoy rock icons! There is no doubt about that. Razorback have been around so long that some of their fans are even young teens whose parents have been fans of the band since the 90′s. Having already spanned at least two generations of fans and outlasted most of their contemporaries, Razorback and their music have certainly stood the test of time.

Who hasn’t heard of Razorback? Even when I was barely in my teens, I already knew about the band. You could say that they are indeed the other side of the 90′s Pinoy rock—that is, hard rock to classic rock. Razorback have been among the bands I had wanted to interview for the longest time. But I knew that when that opportunity came, it had to be for a most special event. And what could be more timely than their 23rd anniversary and having had the privilege of spending time with them that night before their performance which was held on the 26th of October at Live Vibe Café.


Below is my in-depth interview with the band members of Razorback:
MY FIRST QUESTION: Kevin, looking back at the early days of Razorback, when did you realize or get a strong feeling that your band is going to be part of something big and that a bright future ahead was just around the corner for Razorback ?

(KEVIN ROY): Wow! .. uhmm. When did I know that? You know, I still don’t know it.. It’s a case to case, day to day basis, since it’s survival! Which is really basically we enjoy what we do.. like planning five years ahead–what are we going to do ? It’s nothing.. It’s just everyday we just come up with a song, work together on it. When I really, really realized I was doing something great? Probably the third album na, or even the fourth!  And wala eh! Tuloy lang, basta tuloy-tuloy lang…we can’t stop. Because, or I guess.. we just have try to remain current ! So yun, yun..

MY SECOND QUESTION: Kevin, do you remember the very first Razorback song that got radio airplay and what was your own reaction hearing it yourself the first time on the airwaves ?

(KEVIN ROY): F***! The first time, I was so, so proud, man ! Because that’s me, I am on the radio! Siempre pagka na print na yung kanta..di ba ! Sa LA 105 yun ! Pag na print na yung kanta…eh, it’s… yours,  immortalized ! You know.. it’s on file. It’s a record! And it’s crazy, I was seventeen, eighteen at the time ….and I didn’t know I was going to be..  I was a kid, man! Really! I was a kid.. and just like all kids we just wanted to have fun ! Sina Tirso.. yon, ano…they had more of… the vision of where we were headed as we got a little older !

,
MY THIRD QUESTION: Anyone can answer this question. Was there a distinct advantage of starting out the band in the 90′s in terms of the musical influences you had back then against the current crop of mainstream artists?

(LOUIE TALAN): Well.. I think one advantage we had back then in the 90′s…is we had a lot of “kuyas” who were musical older brothers who we were exposed to and they were very accommodating to us. They’d let us jam ! That is something that not many kids can probably experience today. (KEVIN ROY): Learn to jam ! Like free jam, di ba! (LOUIE TALAN): Yeah, yeah, di ba ? (KEVIN ROY): That is right ! (LOUIE TALAN): Because there are so many bands now and the scene is such na… it seems to be… there are “pockets” and you know, the kinds of musicians that hang out in a certain joint are pretty much all the same! Unlike before, we played in this bar. And on the other nights of the week, we had older musicians playing there. So we got the chance to learn from them. You know what I mean. (KEVIN ROY): Diversity! (LOUIE TALAN): Yeah. There was external influence also. That was one advantage! Other than the fact that there were not that many bands back in the 90′s.. at least when we started. I think we started just before the whole boom of Pinoy rock bands in the 90′s. So our timing was good. We already had a stable gig before everything exploded. So it was just a matter of finally getting a record done and then proceeding from there. (TIRSO RIPOLL): Yeah.. it’s different but I wouldn’t say it was an advantage. In fact, we were at a disadvantage because the scene back then was very ran by the record companies and they pretty much ran everything and they had people and a lot of things that ran in place for them and they didn’t like people like us who came in doing our own thing. And that didn’t work for them. So it didn’t work for us. It worked against us ! Uhmm.. today everything is more free and minds are more open. People are more accepting of many different varied styles of music. When we came in and we rocked with our c**** out, a lot of people had problems with that. And our record company had a lot of problems with that and we had to fight them for it. But that is the way we rolled, b**** ! We fought every f****** record company. We fought every producer. Our first album had seven f****** sound engineers, three producers. We fought with everyone because people wanted to tell us what to do. And we said, f*** you! But the point was… now, you can do what you like. But back then, they wanted you to do things they thought you should be doing ! And we said, f*** off! That is not going to happen! (KEVIN ROY): Yeah, we don’t want to compromise. (TIRSO RIPOLL): And that was the way we always were and will be, my friend !

MY FOURTH QUESTION: Anyone can answer this question. Razorback have performed in practically every known bar in the country from the 90′s until the present day. I am sure there have been some wild moments that the members of the band have witnessed in some of these famous venues. What was the wildest and probably the most “insane” things that you have seen happen during your performance ?

(KEVIN ROY):  Hahaha.. My wife f****** hammering my manager’s head, pare ! Hahaha… My wife hammering my manager’s head ! Hahaha….Aahhh! I don’t know, man… I don’t know, man.. But p*** there was the lola with the f******, di ba: ”Head bang! Ayoko niyan! Ayoko love song ! Gusto ko head bang ! Gusto ko ganyan!” (LOUIE TALAN): You know, we get our share of funny characters that come ! There are a lot of psychos out there and uhmm.. the thing is, we have gotten used to it! So it doesn’t stick out anymore. (KEVIN ROY): We are used to the loonies! So, there is normalcy there.  (TIRSO RIPOLL): Dude, that would have to be when we landed our second record deal with Sony Music which was a great thing for us! Jason Newsted was in town promoting the Metallica Album. So Jason Newsted was in town to promote ‘LOAD’ and it was  Sunday night and they had it in Club Dredd. Santana had played that same night. It was a Sunday and I was at the record radio station, as it is. I was hanging out with Santana, “the” Carlos Santana. He’s very nice man ! And after that, I went over to Club Dredd. Jason Newsted was jamming, I walked in. I grabbed a post outside of Club Dredd and I got electrocuted ! Like badly electrocuted and I stumbled into the bar and sat down beside some guy. Some guy gave me his seat at the bar to help me. And it turned out to be Wally Champsay, who was the managing director of Sony Music. Because Wolfgang was out there jamming with him ! And he was all concerned like “Are you okay, dude?” He bought me a drink to just calm my nerves ! And uhmm… then we got to talking and then he called me, and said “You know, what why don’t you come to my office on Monday”, and then we signed the deals with Sony shortly after that ! That’s how it all happened ! So, it’s all done and that is probably the most awesome thing that at least you can put out because there would be too many incriminating things ! But I really loved that guy ! Wally Champsay was one of the best things that ever happened to the Philippine music industry !


Razorback, rocking it out onstage.

MY FIFTH QUESTION: Anyone can answer this question. We all know the advantages of social media and how social media have become instrumental and a “big help” for new bands now to get their music across to various music aficionados. If Facebook and Twitter were already around in the 90′s, how do you think these would have affected the direction of Razorback’s career back then?

(KEVIN ROY): Considering that none of us are mahilig maglagay ng music like online and stuff like that.. to take care of the page, or what not. Hala.. Patay ! Lugi tayo! We might find ourselves in a disadvantage. That’s me.. (LOUIE TALAN): I think Facebook and Twitter alone would not make much of a difference. It helps but what really helps is stuff like YouTube where people can really see you. Uhm.. I mean it is a lot more interesting than just reading a page and hearing a band talk about themselves then. (MANUEL LEGARDA): It would be nice !

(TIRSO RIPOLL): Well, this anniversary would have been at Madison Square Garden if that was the case, hahaha… No, social media is excellent and clearly, things would be multiplied by a thousand because that’s what it is. (KEVIN ROY): The advancements made every year are amazing ! (TIRSO RIPOLL): That kind of connection and direct connection with your fans with the people who like your music and are into what you are doing is priceless and we appreciate every single person that comes to our show, and every other person that “liked” us on Facebook. We love them and you know, to be around this long and to have people still think that what you are doing is cool, it’s a big thing for us. It’s nice and it’s important !

MY SIXTH QUESTION: This question is directed to every member. What is your favorite Razorback song ? You may elaborate why.

(TIRSO RIPOLL): F***! That’s like asking who is my favorite kid! Haha.. That’s hard, man.. But I’ll tell you what is currently my favorite song, at this very moment. But it would change tomorrow if you would ask me the same question tomorrow. Uhmm.. only because we played it really well last night I am going to say “Ikot ng Mundo” today. It is really awesome and it is a fun song to play. Because when we played that song… in 1997? (KEVIN ROY): Before that pa ! (TIRSO RIPOLL): We recorded that in 1996 and we wrote and recorded that song at that year, we were trying to do something.. We did the best we could do at the time but we play that song today the way it should have been played and the way we would have wanted it to be played back then and it is nice to come back every so often and to hear that song when you get it right! And,  f*** yeah, man! That right there was a spiritual moment ! And that’s a good song that rocks ! (LOUIE TALAN): Uhmm.. Probably, “Necromantic” because that was the hardest to “birth”, I have to say. And it was the subject of several arguments. It is not for everyone. But it is a very a good song. (KEVIN ROY): I don’t know, man. It flips, man! They are mostly from the ‘Black’.. I like “Nakaturo..”, “Puwerto”, the trippy stuff ! “Mana..” maybe.. I don’t know. (BRIAN VELASCO): I like “Mana..”, “Wakasan” and “Inflattable Love Thing”. Yup, that’s it, man! (MANUEL LEGARDA): Lately, I have been listening to “Fathers Day” from the last album.


MY SEVENTH QUESTION: Kevin, If you could relive any single moment or event in the illustrious career of Razorback, what would that be?

(KEVIN ROY): Event? I can’t single one event out. But ah.. if asked if I’d do it again? Everything!

The good and the bad. I’d do everything… all over again! And hopefully, do it properly. You know?
But I cannot single one event out, really. But I’d do everything again. Yup, the good and the bad.

MY EIGHTH QUESTION: This question is directed to every member. If you could choose to perform with any foreign band onstage from any decade–whether this band is still active or not–what band would that be and what role would you want to have, or would have wanted, with that chosen band of yours?





(KEVIN ROY): F*** man ! Led Zeppelin, If I want a really interesting jamming and everything else, Zeppelin it’s got to be, man ! My God, Wow! (BRIAN VELASCO): I would like to be Katy Perry’s boyfriend ! (KEVIN ROY): Russell Brand, or the new one ? Mayer? (BRIAN VELASCO): No, I mean, me ! Yeah, but Led Zeppelin would also be for me. (KEVIN ROY): Wow! But wow… That’s a tough.. , p****** ***,  F***! But to play alongside..? F*** , Beatles ! But you know, what if we would had lived in the 70′s? We would have f******* rocked, dude ! (MANUEL LEGARDA): Or we may even have been influenced by Jefferson Airplane or something like that. Haha.

MY NINTH QUESTION: This question is directed to everyone. If you could change one thing now in the local scene, what would that be?

(MANUEL LEGARDA): I think going back to what Louie said about the new guys being able to jam, being able to improvise. I think more of the bands now are parang… just verse-chorus-verse-chorus. That’s all… but I could be completely wrong. But from what I have seen and I have heard, parang.. everybody’s fixed. Its “fixed”. Walang improvisation. (LOUIE TALAN): I would change standards. I would like to see.. Honestly. I think musicians should get paid more. Because if musicians should get paid more, that they could do it without worrying about where they are going to get their next meal. And they could further their craft; But along with they have to..  we all have to raise our standards as well. So that it is going to be worth to the paying public. (BRIAN VELASCO): Uhmm.. how do you guys feel about production ? Di ba? As much as possible, I would like–and it would be better–if shows were minimized to maybe a maximum of 3 bands per night. And not 10 or 15 bands per night ! You know, like with what’s happening with these productions at Saguijo, or what not. But that way, you could really appreciate the band playing more. And that way, these young bands would actually learn and hone their craft better because they would be able to play longer. But these days kasi, I noticed parang it’s a little funny seeing a 21-year old kid exhaust himself after what ? Playing three song, di ba? Three songs later and they’re exhausted already ?! When our guitar player can even play a 2-hour set. Di ba ? I mean, these days, kids are tired just after three songs. So you know, if we would minimize these gigs instead of having 20 bands per night. Maybe just a maximum of just three would be nice ! (KEVIN ROY): Ako, the change would be radio… Bring back rock radio, man ! Any with a decent rock program, Or, you know what? Just good music, man.. that leans towards the rock side ! Hindi naman purist ang rock. Maraming forms yun. Just have a nice program, s*** !  Because we sorely miss that and we need it. And create a time machine, p*** !  Whoever invented the inter-web… ”Assassinate” him before it happens! Haha.. Para patay na ang piracy pero hindi may kopyahan pa rin, di ba ? Anyway, there…

MY TENTH QUESTION: I have always viewed Razorback and Wolfgang to be almost like brothers–and not only as associated acts that both rose to the prominence in the 90′s–but also that members for both iconic bands are like one big happy family of musicians who share a love for good ol’ rock and roll, whether you are performing together in the same event or you are featuring members from the other band to perform with you onstage. This question is directed to Kevin and Manuel . Can you identify that special and unique bond that binds Razorback and Wolfgang, so much so that even that each of the band has its own identity and following, there exists a friendly camaraderie between both bands, rather than an antagonistic rivalry towards the other, as so often happens in the industry?

(KEVIN ROY): That’s really not true because Tirso and Basti want to f******* kill each other right now, pare ! Nah.. i’m just kidding ! Haha.. Anyway, uhm.. what is it, man? I don’t know. We just seem to get along and we treat each other as brothers, As good friends. Louie was my best man in my wedding.. s*** . Tirso is like godfather to my daughter. And my daughter was the peace offering to Tirso. We became really cool after that as we always were. (LOUIE TALAN): I would like to compare it to an MMA training camp that has different fighters that come out, di ba! But they are all from the same camp and that bond is just there already. (MANUEL LEGARDA): You have little fights and discussions but the band came together for a reason. (KEVIN ROY): Which brings you closer, all those experiences and all those shared experiences just brings us closer. Like when we tour Wolf and Razor.. we will be together. And minsan, roommate ko si Basti. Or ka-roommate ko si Mon or a roadie. Ganyan, Iba-iba.  We mix it up, man !

(LOUIE TALAN): Minsan ka roommate ko yung masahista ng hotel! Haha.. (KEVIN ROY): Haha.. Si Bombay yun ! My name is Bomby Araneta ! Haha..

MY ELEVENTH QUESTION: Kevin, how different are music goers now when compared to the 90′s in terms of how they react to your music ? During your performances, are they more responsive and expressive towards you and your music ?
(KEVIN ROY): The crowd… uhmm.. I like nowadays. Because they are discerning. They sit down, they listen, and enjoy their beers. Either that, or our crowd is old ! haha.. It’s not that people need to be jumping around or be in mosh pits. That is so 90′s, man. We are done with it ! It’s still cool, though, and fine. So, uhmm..  Yeah. Mosh pits are so 90′s, I would have to say. And uhm… tama na ! Pero, I prefer this crowd because they sit down, drink, and because that is the way I am when I watch a show. Enjoy and sit down. Pag masarap, tumayo na lang. And enjoy !

MY TWELFTH QUESTION: Razorback are icons of Pinoy rock and one of the longest lasting and successful bands we have in the country. What has kept Razorback going strong all these years ? This is for everyone to answer.
(MANUEL LEGARDA): Uhmm… I just think what has kept us going is the desire to record and to play music that we all collectively enjoy. You know, when we record jams and when we do stuff in the studio, there is always something there that makes me want to play more and record more with these guys ! For me, that’s it. The music. Plus, its a lot of fun hanging out with these guys !

(TIRSO RIPOLL): Uhmm.. What has kept us going strong… all these years ? You know the standard answer would be.. the band that showers together, stays together ! And that’s true, man.. I love these fucking guys ! I like them ! We have a good time. You know, just f***** rock it out and have a good time! And when you have a good time, it is like love!

(LOUIE TALAN): One strong motivation for me is the opportunity to get out, you know. To get out of Manila and tour and do gigs outside of the country because it is always a great experience. You always learn something and it is always nice to come up with new stuff, take it around, and see how they would react to it. And it would be hard to find a better bunch of people to do that with.


Razorback, performing their hits with passion.

(KEVIN ROY): I think Louie pretty much said it. I guess we have to thank all our fans also who still support us and watch our shows! While all these people who still watch us are egging us on to write new songs and new material, then we will for them! That is pretty much it. The crowd really keeps us going and we live to sing for them. There it is ! (LOUIE TALAN): You know what one thing that I can tell you is like.. for us, us musicians, if we stop playing, we get sick! (KEVIN ROY): I would die, pare ! (LOUIE TALAN): Really, you would feel that something is wrong with the world. Kaya hahanapin mo talaga ! (KEVIN ROY): So, you kind of need it even if it just means being in the studio. (LOUIE TALAN): You know, it is like an internal organ. It is part of our existence ! (BRIAN VELASCO): What has kept us going ? I guess, everything they have said. And the fact that we all just get along and it is not easy maintaining a good relationship with five totally different personalities! You know what I mean. (KEVIN ROY): It is like we are married to each other! Haha.. (BRIAN VELASCO): There you go! (TIRSO RIPOLL): Uhmm.. What has kept us going strong all these years? The standard answer would be: “The band that showers together stays together.” And that’s true, man ! Hahaha.. Why we stay together. I don’t know, man. But I can say I love these f****** guys ! I like them. We have a good time. You know, just f******* rock it out! And  have a good time. And when you are having a good time with these people, it’s like love.

***********
A big thank you to the Manager of Razorback, Patrick Pulumbarit, for allowing this 28-year old music fan to feel like a kid again by giving me the golden opportunity of interviewing “up close and personal” all the members of one of my favorite bands of all time. Thank you too to the Operations Manager, Raymond Recto, of Live Vibe Café located at the A.Venue Mall on Makati Avenue for kindly attending to me. And of course, to all the current members of Razorback: (Kevin Roy, Tirso Ripoll, Manuel Legarda, Louie Talan and Brian Velasco) for continuing to inspire generations and for motivating music aficionados like myself to believe in what they are doing and to not give up the fight in just being able to rock out !

source: entertainment.inquirer.net