Showing posts with label Military. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Military. Show all posts

Saturday, July 29, 2017

US delivers weapons for PH Air Force amid Marawi crisis


The United States has turned over rocket motors and rockets to the Philippine Air Forces to aid in the government’s counterterrorism efforts.

The US Embassy in Manila said on Saturday that “officials from the Joint United States Military Assistance Group (JUSMAG) recently delivered 1,040 2.75” rocket motors and 992 2.75″ rockets to the Philippine Air Force (PAF) through the Mutual Logistics Support Agreement (MLSA).”

“These timely transfers greatly enhance the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ (AFP) counterterrorism efforts,” the statement said, adding that munitions and weapons from the US will help AFP members “actively engaged in counterterrorism operations in the southern Philippines, including Marawi.”

It said the latest delivery is part of a “series of upcoming transfers from the US military to multiple branches of the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) through both MLSA and the security assistance program.”

“Through the MLSA, the AFP is able to receive select munitions and equipment from US military stock in an accelerated process reserved for allies and close partners of the United States,” the Embassy said.

It said future deliveries include 250 rocket-propelled grenade launchers and 1,000 M203 grenade launchers delivered for the Philippine Army.

“The United States is a proud and steadfast ally of the Philippines and will continue to provide support to the AFP’s long-term modernization goals and counterterrorism needs,” the Embassy said.

Inquirer calls for support for the victims in Marawi City

Responding to appeals for help, the Philippine Daily Inquirer is extending its relief to victims of the attacks in Marawi City

Cash donations may be deposited in the Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860.

Inquiries may be addressed to Inquirer’s Corporate Affairs office through Connie Kalagayan at 897-4426, ckalagayan@inquirer.com.ph and Bianca Kasilag-Macahilig at 897-8808 local 352, bkasilag@inquirer.com.ph.

For donation from overseas:

Inquirer Foundation Corp account:

Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860

Swift Code: BNORPHMM

source: globalnation.inquirer.net

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Misconduct forces more US soldiers out


WASHINGTON — The number of U.S. soldiers forced out of the Army because of crimes or misconduct has soared in the past several years as the military emerges from a decade of war that put a greater focus on battle competence than on character.


Data obtained by The Associated Press shows that the number of officers who left the Army due to misconduct more than tripled in the past three years. The number of enlisted soldiers forced out for drugs, alcohol, crimes and other misconduct shot up from about 5,600 in 2007, as the Iraq war peaked, to more than 11,000 last year.

The data reveals stark differences between the military services and underscores the strains that long, repeated deployments to the front lines have had on the Army’s soldiers and their leaders.

It also reflects the Army’s rapid growth in the middle part of the decade from 2000 to 2010, and the decisions to relax standards a bit to bring in and retain tens of thousands of soldiers to fill the ranks as the Pentagon added troops in Iraq and continued the fight in Afghanistan.

The Army grew to a peak of about 570,000 soldiers during the height of the wars, and soldiers represented the bulk of the troops on the battlefields compared with the other services.

“I wouldn’t say lack of character was tolerated in (war) theater, but the fact of the last 10 or 12 years of repeated deployments, of the high op-tempo — we might have lost focus on this issue,” Gen. Ray Odierno, the Army’s top officer, told the AP last week. “Sometimes in the past we’ve overlooked character issues because of competence and commitment.”

His comments mirror concerns aired by Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, several times in recent months. The ethical lapses, Dempsey said, can be attributed in some ways to 10 years at war when the military failed to properly balance character and competence.

“It is not the war that has caused this,” Dempsey said. “It is the pace, and our failure to understand that at that pace, we were neglecting the tools that manage us as a profession over time.”

Over the past year, a series of high profile scandals — from sexual assault and damaging leadership to mistreatment of the enemy and unauthorized spending — has dogged the military, leading to broad ethics reviews and new personnel policies.

Those scandals included the demotion of Army Gen. William “Kip” Ward for lavish, unauthorized spending; sexual misconduct charges against Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair; and episodes of gambling and drinking by other general officers.

More recently, there have been cheating allegations against Air Force nuclear missile launch officers and a massive bribery case in California that has implicated six Navy officers. Examples of troop misconduct include Marines urinating on the corpses of Taliban fighters and soldiers posing with body parts of Afghan militants.

As a result, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and other leaders say ethics is a priority about which they now routinely lecture troops and officers. They also have undertaken initiatives aimed at identifying and dealing with problem service members.

“We’re paying a lot more attention to it now. We are not tolerant at all of those showing a lack of character,” Odierno said. “We have to refocus ourselves so we get to where we think is the right place.”

In 2010, 119 Army officers were forced to leave the service because of misconduct; that number was fairly consistent with the annual totals since 2000. Last year the number was 387.

For enlisted soldiers, the numbers have seesawed over the past 13 years, hovering near 9,000 at the start of the decade and falling to 5,706 in 2007. Since then, the number has climbed again.

When the country needs a lot of troops on the front lines, more people with behavioral problems are allowed to come in and stay. When the military begins to shrink, commanders can be much more selective about who is kicked out and who is allowed to stay.

As the Army began to reduce its ranks in recent years toward a goal of 490,000 in 2015, leaders have been more willing and able to get rid of problem soldiers. That is likely to escalate because the latest plan would reduce the Army to 420,000 later in the decade if deep, automatic budget cuts continue.

The Navy went through a similar process.

When the decision was made to cut the size of the 370,000-strong naval force in 2004, the number of sailors who left due to misconduct and other behavior issues grew. In 2006, more than 8,400 sailors left due to conduct issues.

As the size of the Navy began to stabilize — it’s now at about 323,000 — the number of problem sailors leaving also began to decline steadily, dropping each successive year to a new low of about 3,700 in 2013.

In nearly one-third of the cases each year over that time period, the problems involved drug and alcohol use. More than 1,400 cases each year involved a “serious offense” or civil or criminal court case.

The Navy has become known as the most transparent service, often quicker to publicly fire commanders for misconduct or poor leadership. But the number of Navy officers forced out has remained relatively constant, ranging from 84 to 107 annually for the past eight years. The bulk of those were for what the service calls “unacceptable conduct” or unfitness for duty.

The Air Force, which is smaller than the Navy and Army, reported far fewer cases of airmen leaving for misconduct, both for officers and enlisted service members. The number of officers separated from service since 2000 due to a court-martial ranged from a low of 20 in 2001 to a high of 68 in 2007. For enlisted airmen, the number ranged from a high of nearly 4,500 in 2002 to a low of almost 2,900 in 2013.

Data for the Marine Corp, the military’s smallest service, was not broken out by officers and enlisted personnel. Overall, it showed that Marines leaving the service due to misconduct was about 4,400 in 2007, but has declined to a bit more than 3,000 last year.

Those forced to leave for commission “of a serious offense” has nearly doubled from about 260 to more than 500 over the past seven years. The number of Marines who left after court-martial has dropped from more than 1,300 in 2007 to about 250 last year. The Marine Corps also grew in size during the peak war years, and is now reducing its ranks.

Across the services, leaders are trying to deal with complex questions about how to identify and correct the problems.

He said he is appointing a top officer to work with the services on the problem, and he will be addressing the topic at regularly scheduled meetings with his military leaders.

The military services have been adding more lectures on ethics in their schools, and are also targeting top officers.

Lower-ranking service members are being asked to evaluate their higher-ranking superiors as part of the annual performance reviews. That process is slowly being expanded.

“As we conduct operations around the world we represent the United States with our moral and ethical values,” said Odierno. “We believe we should be held to a higher standard.”

source: newsinfo.inquirer.net

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Obama addresses military as gov’t shuts down


WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is telling members of the military he’ll work to get Congress to re-open the government as soon as possible.

Obama is addressing troops in a video message after Congress missed a midnight deadline to avert a partial government shutdown.

Obama says troops in uniform will remain on duty as usual. He says he’s signed a law ensuring troops get paid on time. He says ongoing operations in Afghanistan and elsewhere will continue and the U.S. will ensure those in harm’s way have what they need.

But Obama says Defense Department civilians may be furloughed. He says that compounds the damage from spending cuts that have already affected the military.

Hundreds of thousands of government workers will be off the job Monday, but some essential services will continue.

source: newsinfo.inquirer.net

Sunday, September 8, 2013

US plans for 3 days of attacks on Syria—report


WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is readying more intense and longer attacks on Syria than originally planned, set to last three days, the Los Angeles Times reported Sunday.

War planners now aim to unleash a heavy barrage of missile strikes to be followed swiftly by additional attacks on targets that may have been missed or remain standing after the initial launch, the Times cited officials as saying.

Two US officers told the newspaper that the White House has asked for an expanded target list to include “many more” than the initial list of around 50 targets.

The move is part of an effort to obtain additional firepower to damage Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s dispersed forces.

Pentagon planners are now considering using Air Force bombers, as well as five US missile destroyers currently patrolling the eastern Mediterranean Sea, to launch cruise missiles and air-to-surface missiles from far out of range of Syrian air defenses, according to the report.

The USS Nimitz aircraft carrier strike group with one cruiser and three destroyers positioned in the Read Sea can also fire cruise missiles at Syria.

“There will be several volleys and an assessment after each volley, but all within 72 hours and a clear indication when we are done,” an officer familiar with the planning told the Times.

The intensified military planning comes as President Barack Obama prepares to personally make his case to the American people and further press reluctant lawmakers on the need for action after Assad allegedly used chemical weapons on his own people last month.

Obama is scheduled to tape interviews Monday with anchors of the three major broadcast networks, as well as with PBS, CNN and Fox News.

The interviews, to air that night, will precede Obama’s address to the nation Tuesday ahead of an expected full Senate vote.

The president favors a limited attack with only a reduced number of warplanes to drop bombs over Syria, according to the Times.

Amid doubts that a limited US offensive would sufficiently hamper Assad’s military capabilities, one officer told the newspaper that the planned operation would amount to a “show of force” over several days that would not fundamentally change the situation on the ground.

The planned US strike “will not strategically impact the current situation in the war, which the Syrians have well in hand, though fighting could go on for another two years,” another US officer said.

source: newsinfo.inquirer.net

Monday, September 2, 2013

Military drills set amid talks on more US troops in PH


MANILA, Philippines – About 2,300 members of the Philippine and US military will hold joint military drills later this month amid talks of increased rotational presence of US forces here and continuing tensions between Manila and Beijing over the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).

Part of the bilateral exercises include staff planning exercise to increase the capability to conduct bilateral maritime security and territorial defense operations, field training exercises and humanitarian and civic assistance projects.

The three-week joint exercises hosted by the Philippine Marine Corps will start September 18 in several Philippine military camps including the Naval Education and Training Command in San Antonio, Zambales; Crow Valley in Capas, Tarlac; Marine Base Gregorio Lim in Ternate, Cavite; Marine Barracks Rudiardo Brown in Metro Manila; and at the Basa Airbase and Clark Field in Pampanga.

The 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit and 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade from the United States Marine Corps will be paired with Philippine Navy, Air Force and Army units in the annual Amphibious Landing Exercises 2014 dubbed as Phiblex 2014.

“Phiblex 14 is designed to improve interoperability, increase readiness and enhance the ability to respond to natural disasters or other regional contingencies,” said First Lieutenant Vince Edward Salmingo, Public Affairs Officer of Phiblex 2014 in a statement.

At the same time, Phiblex will also enhance local infrastructure and quality of life and build upon vibrant professional and personal relationships between Philippine and US Marines, Salmingo said.

The staff planning exercise aims to increase the capability to conduct bilateral maritime security and territorial defense operations.

The field training exercises, meanwhile, will provide the Philippine and US troops an opportunity to maintain their unit skill sets while sharing best practices and enhancing an already high level of interoperability.

Additionally, Philippine and US forces will carry out a series of humanitarian and civic assistance projects that will include engineering civic action projects, to improve local infrastructure, and cooperative health engagements, to share medical best practices, promote civil military relations with the community while advancing humanitarian interests and meet the medical needs of Filipino citizens.

Humanitarian and civic assistance projects will be held in some villages in Legazpi City, Albay, Salmingo said.

source: globalnation.inquirer.net

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Dollar sags in Asia on Syrian tension


TOKYO—The dollar edged down against the safe-haven yen in Asia on Tuesday due to concerns over a possible US military action against Syria.

The dollar was at 98.29 yen in Tokyo afternoon trade, down from 98.51 yen in New York Monday afternoon.

The euro bought $1.3373 and 131.45 yen compared with $1.3369 and 131.68 yen.

The greenback lost ground in the wake of a decline in Tokyo stocks and due to concerns over a possible US military strike against Syria, said a dealer at a Japanese bank.

“The possibility of the US military attacks could make investors risk averse, weighing on the dollar,” he told Dow Jones Newswires.

US Secretary of State John Kerry gave the most explicit warning yet to Damascus that the US would take action over the chemical weapons attack, which he labelled a “moral obscenity”.

Speaking amid reports that Washington and its allies are preparing to launch a punitive cruise missile strike on Syrian targets, Kerry accused Bashar al-Assad’s regime of engaging in a cover-up.

“Let me be clear. The indiscriminate slaughter of civilians, the killing of women and children and innocent bystanders by chemical weapons is a moral obscenity,” he declared in a televised statement.

“By any standard it is inexcusable, and despite the excuses and equivocations that some have manufactured, it is undeniable.”

Emerging Asia currencies were mostly lower, with the Indian rupee trading at 65.32 to the dollar, down from 64.23 Monday afternoon and close to a record low of 65.56 last week.

Expectations of an end to the US stimulus programme have seen investors in recent months repatriate some of the vast sums that have poured into emerging economies, hitting currencies and equities.

“Coming on the heels of Friday’s soft US new home sales report, the market has become even more alert to the (US) economy’s readings into the September 18 FOMC,” National Australia Bank said.

Some speculate the US central bank would announce its start of tapering the bond-buying programme at the next September 17-18 meeting of the policy-setting Federal Open Market Committee.

The dollar rose to 10,925 Indonesian rupiah from 10,770 on Monday.

It went up to 44.43 Philippine pesos from 44.20 pesos, to 1,115.85 South Korean won from 1,113.20 won, and to Sg$1.2824 from Sg$1.2791, and to Tw$29.97 from Tw$29.89.

The Thai baht was flat at 32.16 baht.

The Australian dollar fell to 89.81 US cents from rose to 90.39 cents. The Chinese yuan fetched 16.03 yen against 16.07 yen.

source: business.inquirer.net